Conversation based art work

Today we got divided in 2 groups of 3 people to do the next assignment: We had to get to know each other, every information you find interesting from one another you had to write down or draw a little doodle or something. We got an hour to have this conversation with the 3 of us. After that you had to use 3 different kind of materials to make a portrait. Not a portrait as we used to think of, a face or features from a person, but it could be a portrait with a wide variety, it could be about only 1 person or you made 1 of al 3 of them (if you included yourself). I did it this way: I collected not only information that was spoken but also how people acted while we where having the chat, what they did and what they where wearing etc. Then I combined these things in a big 'drawing'. This course is mainly about how a line can act on the paper, that is not only a line with a pencil, but it can also be a line that is made by paper tape or a line that only exists for a few seconds (a line you draw in the water for example) or a line made from wire. There are a lot of opportunities that let you make lines. This course is very interesting to me because it makes me think of lines differently from how I used to think of them, that means that drawing itself gives me more opportunities. It is a bit hard to begin, because I have to kinda trust this new way of thinking but it gives me a lot of freedom in de end and I am more satisfied by the result and there is something in this that I will take with me in the future.




After we where done and we where discussing our works, there was this question in my head and I wanted to know their opinion.
I asked them, this work we made today, came from the conversation we had with the 3 of us. We all interpreted it in a different way and we all had our own result. But if you takes this work out of that context can it still exist?

Maybe if you read this, and you would like to give some kind of an answer to this question, I would like to see your thoughts. So don't hesitate to write them below!

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The end is near

Art and Design boundaries